I've just finished some smaller projects so far this year...
I started these Valentine projects in 2010 when I was waiting for my daughter to come home from her birth country. I finished the table runner at the time (even did the fmq'ing myself), but didn't get the quilting done on the wall hanging until later. (I sent it out to be quilted and finished the binding in 2012.) I labeled them both this year with a handwritten label and finally am posting them here. (So now they really feel finished!)
I tried machine binding on the wall hanging for the first time and LOVED how fast it goes. I don't think it looks as nice as doing it by hand, but for wall hangings and table runners, it's just fine, in my opinion. Considering too many of my quilts get stuck in the binding stage, having a quick and easy option is awesome!
| My friend, Stacey G., quilted the wall hanging for me. I labeled it 2010/2012. haha. The runner is labeled 2010. :) |
I also made this set for St. Patrick's Day:
| I was going for a Shamrock'ish look. |
To be honest, I didn't have these finished in March even though I started them in February and should have been able to whip them out pretty quick. I actually was super tacky and used them anyway without the backing on. Yep, I sure did. I did the fmq'ing myself and wasn't thrilled with my effort. I was tempted to rip it out and send them out to be quilted, but I decided to persevere and try to improve my skills. Some of the fmq'ing I did on quilts in the past (like the first couple I ever did!) looked better, but I think maybe I just wanted to get done with these and didn't give enough concentration or care with them. I had a lot of uneven stitches, but I reminded myself that it doesn't have to be perfect and that every project is a learning experience. I labeled them with handwritten (in green!) labels - just my first name and 2013. (The green permanent marker really doesn't look as nice as black.)
I made this wall hanging for spring:
Every block except one was from a Beginning Piecing class I took at my local quilt shop a couple of years ago. I also have a bunch of blocks that are 9-patch, stars, etc. from that same class. I was going to make a twin size quilt, I think, or maybe a full size. Apparently, I lost interest! I was glad to find a project that would use up some of the blocks, and I have enough of the fabric left that I was able to make one more block to fill in the blank and add a border and binding. I REALLY hated my fmq'ing on this one... my scale changed size in addition to my uneven stitches, but I let it go. Or at least, I think I did. I still notice the fmq'ing every time I walk by it. But I still am going to leave it and work on letting it go. Another learning experience... I really need to slow down and concentrate when I'm doing my own quilting. I know I can do a good job when I let myself enjoy the process instead of just wanting to have it finished and done!
I did machine binding on this one, too. So fast and easy. I wrote the label (also just my first name and 2013) with blue marker. I need to stick to black, and I need to use a finer tip.
I love the bright and cheery look of pinwheels and I love that it's similar to the quilt I made my grandma a couple of years ago.
I signed up for the Saturday Sampler at my LQS this year. This is the third one I've done (I skipped last year), and my two others are still waiting for binding. That is one of my goals for the next few months... finish the binding on those two quilts! The problem I have with the Saturday Sampler is that it's a mystery quilt. They aren't the same size year to year, and I'm not sure I'll always have a place for the finished product. BUT... the thing I like about it is it keeps me quilting, so I work on other things, too. I also learn new things, and it's really a reasonable price for what you get. For $40, you end up with a whole quilt top, unless you don't finish your monthly assignment or don't go in on the appointed day to turn it in. It's $5 for each month that happens. I think I paid an extra 5 or 10 dollars on each of my other Saturday Samplers, but it still is a good price even if you do have to pay that little penalty. Plus, since you get new assignments a month at a time, it keeps it fun instead of "I just want this done!"
I also am making a throw size quilt from an online "quilt along" that I signed up for with a friend. That's the one I'll be working on today. See the String of Pearls Quilt-Along here.
I think I'll be giving this quilt to some sweet friends of mine who are getting married next month. That will mostly depend on how it turns out!
No comments:
Post a Comment