I've noticed lately that I dream about block layouts. That's a sign of something, isn't it?
My quilting heritage is small: One quilt... made for me by my great-grandmother on my father's side. A little baby quilt:
| I won't mention just how old it is. But... it's OLD!!! |
| The little animal print is so faded, but it's super cute. |
![]() |
| She tied each square with it's own color yarn. |
I asked my grandma if my great-grandmother quilted a lot. No, she didn't. I asked my other grandma if she ever quilted. Nope.
My husband's grandma quilted... she made baby blankets for my children. They are treasures to me.
My grandma's neighbor was a quilter... does that count? She tried to help me get started years ago. The problem was that I lived two states away, and I didn't know any other quilters. That was back before I had internet, so I didn't have online help, either. I'm not even sure quilt blogs existed back then!
I discovered quilt blogs last fall when a friend sent me a link to a blog that had a picture of quilt pattern she was making. From there - you know how you end up blog hopping - I discovered all the blog friends that have helped me make the leap into quilting. (They don't know that we're friends... I just quietly read their blogs.)
I have friends in my neighborhood that are quilters. They've helped me along these last few months as I've worked on learning the art of quilting.
So, that's my quilting history. I think it's fair to say I'm a first-generation Quilter in my family... at least as far as I know. I hope to get my daughters to quilt... maybe even my mom!
As for the title of my blog... I don't yet have a basket full of quilts, but I hope that it won't be long until I do. When I was at a friend's house and saw the basket of warm quilts in her tv room (and snuggled under one while we watched movies), I just knew I needed that cozy feeling in my own home.
So I decided to become a Quilter.


No comments:
Post a Comment