I did finish a few things...
We had our first grandbaby this year!!! Yes, we did... a cute baby girl born in July, 2012. I made her a quilt...
I really love how it turned out... and I made it, start to finish, in one week. (Yes, I know some quilters do that EVERY week. I don't. Obviously.) The colors are the colors of her room, and it was fun to work with such vibrant fabrics.
PS. Having a grandbaby is very fun.
This next quilt I "started" back in 2011. Meaning, I bought the fabric and planned to give it as a Christmas gift. Didn't happen.
Then I planned to give it to the recipient (my daughter) just before her wedding in February, 2012. Nope.
I worked on it all year during 2012... I mentioned my quilting mojo had flown the coop, right?
In any case, I finished it earlier this week and gave it to her yesterday. She responded exactly the way you hope a recipient of your quilt will respond. I was so happy that she was so happy.
Excuse my slipper at the bottom of the picture. Oops.
I saw this quilt on Tiffany's blog. Funny story... after peeking in on her blog many times, and even communicating with her about this quilt, it dawned on me that I know her! Actually, it wasn't until she posted pictures of her twin boys with their names that I realized that she was the same Tiffany who grew up in my neighborhood. That was a fun discovery. She's quite the quilter... she jumps in and learns and quilts and accomplishing way more than you'd expect from a mother of one-year-old twins!
Anyway, she got the idea for this quilt from another source (which she links in her blog) and made up her own pattern. I wanted my version to be bigger than Tiffany's, so I made my own pattern, too. I've never done that before, so it was a nice feeling. A good friend helped me figure out how to do the slanting books... I don't know if I would have figured that out myself.
The embroidered panel on the back strip came from here (Happier Than a Bird Quilts). I saw the pattern on her Etsy store, and knew I had to have it. It ended up being a perfect fit for this quilt for my "fond of books" daughter.
Both of these quilts were machine quilted by Stacey G.
I have a few other finishes, too... two wall hangings, a Christmas tree skirt, and a table runner, plus a couple of other projects that just need a binding. If I set the goal here, I might actually get it done, so by the end of next week, I want to:
1) Label my finished Christmas projects and post them here.
2) Cut out the fabric for my March wall hanging and table runner.
3) And label and post about one of my earliest quilting projects.







Tracie, your quilts are just lovely! And I like the panels on the back that you do and the lovely quote about "too fond of books" just priceless - I would love to have seen her face when you gave it to her~ just a priceless treasures for a daughter and a grand daughter!
ReplyDeleteWow Tracie! I can't believe your kids are getting married and having kids of their own! Congratulations, it sounds like you've had a fun year!
ReplyDeleteI really like how both of your quilts turned out. I love the colors you used in your baby quilt and of course I LOVE your book quilt. You did a great job with your slanting books. I didn't think mine through all the way and ended up with "floating" books. :)
I'm excited to see what else you have been working on!
What beautiful quilts! ...and sentiment :) I bet grandkids are awesome!
ReplyDelete