She loved it!!! I am so happy about that. I really wanted her to know that I made it with love for her. She has always been such a blessing in my life, and this is just a very small (in comparison) token of my love and appreciation for her.
Here is the quilt... the early morning sun didn't capture the colors real well in this first picture:

The colors look better here...
I just used one color fabric (the green) for the back. Someday I'll get more creative and piece the back of a quilt, but I wasn't ready yet.
I tried writing the label with a Micron Pigma pen, but after I washed it, the ink had faded. I took that label off and ended up embroidering a new label instead. I think I like the more "primitive" look. :)

About labels: Some of the information I read about labeling stressed me out! It said to include all sorts of info... who quilted it (if I didn't), where it was made, including the address, etc., etc., etc. It would seriously take a full page of writing to get all the information on it. Plus, it mentioned putting the label on before quilting, so that it would be harder for a thief to remove the label if it was stolen.
After thinking about it, reading some of my favorite quilting blogs to see how they do labels, and talking to some quilting friends, I decided to keep it simple and to record the other information about the quilt on the blog. I also decided that if someone felt the need to steal one of my quilts and remove the label, they must need the quilt more than I do.
So, about this quilt:
This is my first "serious" quilt. I've made some wall hangings and a table runner, and I've tied blankets for my babies... but this is the first "real" quilt I've actually finished. (I have a quilt top that's bigger than this one, but it's still just the top!)
The fabrics are 1930's reproduction fabrics purchased at my local quilt shop.
It was machine quilted by Stacey G., here in my neighborhood. I believe she said this was the first quilt she did for her business... I am very happy with the job she did!
I made it here in my current home, and made it for my grandmother's 89th birthday.
I chose the happy pinwheel pattern because my grandma always seems to look for the positive and isn't the type to be complaining or demanding. She just accepts and encourages. I appreciate that about her.
I chose the 1930's fabrics because I thought they might be familiar to her, since she would have been a child/teenager in those years. I also love the bright and cheerful colors.
I chose blue for the border because of her blue eyes.
What I learned from this quilt:
Charm packs might not be cut right. I had to trim my 6 inch charm pack squares to 5.5inches because some were short or crooked. (These were cut at the LQS, not a Moda package.)
Quilts shrink a lot after washing! I think I lost between 4 and 6 inches on this quilt. Good to know!
Match the binding thread to the binding... it won't show on the backing.
Take pictures in better light. :)
Making a quilt to give away is VERY satisfying!!! If this quilt was sitting in my family room, I'd probably be the only one loving it.
No comments:
Post a Comment