Sunday, September 14, 2014

I am loving my sewing room!

Can I just say that having a sewing room makes sewing so much more fun? And having my new cutting table is a huge part of that. (I know. I am completely spoiled to have it!)
We (meaning mostly my husband... I stained the top and helped paint the rest) built it in the garage and assembled it in the sewing room.
Here is it before breaking it in. It took several days for the stain and protective coating to stop smelling so badly of chemicals, so I just let the room air out and only used it minimally while it all cured.
Yay! All broken in and getting lots of use! I ordered a cutting mat the size of the table top (32x60), which is so nice. I'm not using it to actually cut on... just to protect the table from the sharp blades. I love this table so much! I hope to get the boxes underneath the table moved out at some point... but I'm not too focused on that right now.

I hung my rulers behind the door. (the little green paper on the door is a decoration contributed by my youngest daughter.)
When the door is open, the rulers are hidden.
One of the goals I set a couple of weeks ago was to get the binding prepped for the camping quilt. DONE! I didn't make the label, though... but...
... I not only picked a binding for the Saturday Sampler, but I got it all measured and cut. (Excuse the shadow.)
Another goal was to begin cutting the civil war patchwork squares. I cut them all! I had to buy 11 more fat quarters to get enough squares for the queen size quilt. I'm excited to get started on putting this one together.
I also remembered this Saturday Sampler from 2011-12... yep. It was already quilted AND the binding was already almost completely prepped. And it's just been sitting there for two years. I figured this would be a good one to get finished, since it's almost that season.
I finished it, other than the label. I'll talk more about this quilt when I get that part done. This will be my finish for the UCMQG this month. (Remember, I announced a goal to finish a project each month while my daughter is serving her mission. This month... DONE!)


So I'm really feeling motivated. It makes such a difference for the way my brain works to have an organized space for my sewing things. I'll show more of my sewing room as I get it put together. My husband (bless him!) just built me a wrapping paper "station" that is waiting to be painted. I should have that up by the end of the week.

My goals for this week:

1) Put the label on the Fall quilt.
2) Sew the borders on the two "July" projects.
3) Sew the binding strips together for the other Saturday Sampler.
4) Sew the binding onto the Saturday Sampler so it is ready for hand-stitching the back down.
5) Start looking at the directions for the baby quilt (another grandbaby coming soon!) and plan the fabric arrangement out in my mind. :)
6) If the (flannel-backed tablecloth) fabric arrives that will extend my quilt design wall, start laying out the squares for the patchwork quilt for my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment