Monday, October 27, 2014

Playing Catch-Up on this Blog...

I have a lot to post about… but I'll start with pictures of my sewing room. Having it all up and functional has made such a difference in staying motivated to work on my quilts.

My husband made me a ironing board topper. Have you seen these? It makes ironing fabric and quilts so much easier than that angled ironing board we all have. I found directions here, and my husband took care of the rest. (We make a good team. I come up with ideas, and he makes them happen.)
It just sits on top of my regular ironing board. The brackets hold it in place, but it's easy to take off if I ever felt inclined to iron clothing. (That is a rare occurrence in our house.) It also makes a great place to wrap gifts.
 Here is a close-up of the fabric I used to cover it. I found it at JoAnn's. 
The batting and fabric cover are just stapled into the bottom with a heavy-duty staple gun.

Here are several views of the room. It's not a big room… just a normal size bedroom, but it works just fine for what I need. The lighting looks horrible in this first one. Just ignore that.


I love this wrapping paper station! It makes wrapping gifts so much less of a chore. (I can't say it makes it fun… but it is so much easier than digging the paper out from a container under my bed!)
This wall is just begging for some mini-quilts. The drawers to the left of the cabinet have yarn goods and crochet tools and hat looms and stuff. 
These drawers have my fabric scraps. There are way too many! I am really working on using up all the fabric I get for a project so I don't keep adding to this. And then I need to find ways to use this up. The red and teal quilt is my daughter's… I am just keeping it safe until she gets back. :) 
The closet barely fits all my "projects"… I counted them last month and there are 33 projects either started or waiting to be started. It's so shameful! I'm trying to finish at least one a month while my daughter is on her mission… but two would be even better so I can get this down to maybe a handful left by the time she is home. (I've finished five in the two months she's been gone! More on that later!)

So there you have it… I LOVE having this space all to myself. It helps my mind be clear on what I'm actually working on and keeps me focused so I actually finish things.

Here was my list of goals from the last time I posted:

1) Put the label on the Fall quilt. (DONE)
2) Sew the borders on the two "July" projects. (DONE)
3) Sew the binding strips together for the other Saturday Sampler. (DONE)
4) Sew the binding onto the Saturday Sampler so it is ready for hand-stitching the back down. (DONE)
5) Start looking at the directions for the baby quilt (another grandbaby coming soon! *DONE!* haha) and plan the fabric arrangement out in my mind. :) (DONE)
6) If the (flannel-backed tablecloth) fabric arrives that will extend my quilt design wall, start laying out the squares for the patchwork quilt for my bed. (DONE)

I've done all that and more. I'll post again tomorrow with a couple of things I've finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment